Well....................we are officially in Alabama! I knew that it was going to be an adventure, but we had no idea what we were gettin ourselves into. On our trip to Birmingham we got two flat tires on our rental truck. The first one was in Wamsutter Wyoming ( I had no idea there was a Wamsutter Wyoming) where the mechanic added air to the tire while drinking a beer (I guess that could be concidered a talent in some places) and he had a pet rattle snake. Quite the fancy place to get a flat- anyways they had to send us to the next town to get the tire changed. After that I thought that we had the worst out of the way, but then just as we passed Cheyenne , WY we got stuck in trafic for 2 hours because there was a wreck on the freeway! It is a good thing for modern technolgy and that I had a dvd player and some movies or that probally would have been worse! Then we got another flat tire just outside of Nashville- but at least the mechanic on this one knew how to change a tire and he was not drunk- so that problem was easier to fix!! Then we pulled into Birmingham in the midle of a monsoon!! We unloaded the enire truck in the middle of hurricane Katrina! That was a bit of an exageration, but that is what it felt like at the time! But now we are all settled into our new apartment and Matt has his first week of classes under his belt. There s a lot to do in Birmingham and we have had fun exploring. Though I did get lost for a whole hour last night when I went to pick Matt up from school. I thought I could take the back roads and be just fine, but it turns out that I have no sense of direction! It was great to go to or new ward and meet all of the new people. Our ward is great and the church is still true in Alabama.
This is the Vulcan Statue that is on top of the "mountain" in Birmingham.When you get to the top you can look out overr all of Birmingham- it is quite the view.
This is the only oicture I took of our travels to Birmingham, I guess I was not in the picture takng mood! But we took this in Metropolis Illonois ( I think that is the right state, but I lost track!)
8 comments:
That is so exciting/nerve-wracking! What are you up to while Matt's in school? Is it wicked humid down there?
Holy cow!!! You're there!!!! How hilarious was your adventure? Probably not always so funny when you were in the middle of it. I want to see pics of your cute apartment. I miss you already (not that I've seen you since you moved to Twin Falls)! I'm glad that Matt's first week of school went well, and that you're finding your way around. I would love to chat. Are you going to keep your phone # the same? I want to hear everything! When do you start work?Missing you in Idaho!!!
Love,
Allie
Oh my gosh i can't believe you had 2 flats! that's terrible! At least you made it though, and it sounds like you're making the most of things-moving to a new state is always a good time :o). I'm glad you can blog so that we can keep tabs on what you're up to out there!
Holy crap Laura... ALABAMA! It's so weird to me that you're there right now. I have been missing you so bad since you've been gone. I am liking the job (sorta) there are the pros and cons that come with every job. But I'm liking everyone I'm working with. It would be 1000 x's better if you were here with me though. Call me anytime you get bored. I am always bored with Ryan gone to coaching all the day long!! Tell Matt hi! Hope you're doing well. You should post some pictures up of your apartment.
oh man thats crazy!!!!How fun would that be to go somewhere so far and new!! Im jelous. I miss your cute little face down at the good ol allure salon!!
HOly Cow! It was so good to see you on my blog. I am so new at this i'm changing it. I am now addicted! I found a salon to work at. I am the only nail tech. YEAH! I loved seeing your pix. I am startin to do senior pix and family. I did a blog that i have to update and change but check it out pampeckphotography.blogspot.com
I miss ya!!! pam
Idaho is going to miss you!! I hope you get back here soon! Hope all goes well in Alabama!! Don't forget to blog!!
Laura -
Come on now Mrs. You. I was reading your story about flat tires and started laughing. You said, "I guess I have no sense of direction." We all knew that before. Remember when you drive you have to hold up your thumb and pointer finger to decide which direction is left and right :) HAHA Memories. Hope all is well. Sure miss you. Sounds like Alabama is going to be good for the two of you though.
Post a Comment